Platinum Cured Silicone Tubing
For critical pharmaceutical, biomedical, cosmetic, and food applications
Being manufactured in our Platinum cured silicone gives you a number of advantages over conventional Peroxide cured silicones.
We propose a wide range of Platinum Silicone Tubing for pharmaceutical and biotech companies. Platinum Cured silicone tubing offers many benefits over traditional peroxide cured tubing. Platinum Tubing offers extremely high purity and very low leaching of bi-products. Due to the platinum catalyst curing system the crosslink density of the silicone polymer is altered which in turn offers enhanced physical properties along with ultra-smooth surfaces, particularly useful in the bioprocess industry sector where reduced bacterial growth is an added benefit.
Platinum addition silicone tubing contains no phthalate plasticizers associated with other types of tubing and is manufactured totally free from animal derived components. Our range of silicone tubing is biocompatible to the ISO 10993 standard and meets fully USP Class VI, FDA and European Pharmacopoeia criteria.
Peroxide Cured Tube:-
Initially popular as a low cost alternative to platinum cured tube, the use of peroxide tubing in biopharmaceutical industry has largely been phased out due to the presence of toxic by-products formed during the curing process of this material. Typical by -products found in peroxide (2,4-dichlorobenzoyl peroxide) cured tube include:
- 2,4-dichlorobenzoic acid dichlorobenzoic acid
- dichlorobenzoic acid methyl ester dichlorobenzoyl chloride
- dichlorobenzaldehyde trichlorobenzene
- chlorinated aliphatics polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
- phenol, benzyl alcohol
- dichlorobenzene, dichlorophenol
Washing of peroxide cured tube with pure water (WFI) to remove these contaminants is largely ineffective as these and other by products continually leach from the silicone rubber matrix, concentrating at the tube surfaces, a process that is exacerbated by autoclaving.
Platinum Cured Tube:-
Platinum-catalysed addition curing is a faster process than peroxide curing which involves just one controlled reaction and which produces no undesirable by-products. For this reason platinum cured silicone tube is now the tube of choice for biopharmaceutical applications.
Care should however still be taken in the selection of your source of platinum tube, as only tube that has been manufactured in a completely dedicated Production facility using dedicated extrusion equipment and curing ovens etc, will be completely free of the peroxide decomposition derivatives from the peroxide curing process.
· Excellent biocompatibility; no leachable additives, DOP, or plasticizers; odorless and nontoxic, fungus resistant.
· No taste imparted to transported fluids.
- Resistant to oxidation, corona, ozone and radiation
- Does not support bacterial growth
- Withstands repeated sterilization
- Non-reactive to body tissue and fluid
- Non-adherence tissue
- Retains physical properties in extreme conditions
- Non Toxic
- Non Yellowing
- No peroxide by-products
- High tear strength as standard
- High gloss finish
- Excellent quality
- Highly hydrophobic
- Extended life in Peristaltic pumps
· Extremely good at low temperatures.
· Do not use with concentrated solvents, oils, or acids.
· Relatively high gas permeability.
· Physical Characteristics and Composition:
· Thermal set rubber.
· Siloxane polymers and amorphous silica.
· Excellent compression strength.
· Soft material.
· Translucent, clear to light amber.
-60 to 460°F (-51 to 232°C)
Classifications & Certifications:-
· DMF No-29761 from US FDA
· FDA 21 CFR 177.2600
· USP Class VI
· German BFR xv
· France Arrete du 25
· ISO 10993
· Clean with hot water/soap solution.
· Use nonoily soap such as IVORY.
· Do not use synthetic detergents or oil-based soaps as they may be absorbed by the tubing and subsequently leach out into the fluid.
· Rinse thoroughly with distilled water.
· By Sterilization method
· Ethylene oxide (ETO) sterilization is not recommended. Sufficient data are not available regarding complete outgassing of residual ETO and ETO byproducts.